Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Monday, July 30th


As I write this entry, it is difficult to wrap my mind around the tragedy of the Genocide in Rwanda, which began in 1959.  Before coming to Rwanda, I read 5 or 6 books, watched several documentaries and movies to prepare for this journey and what I may see at a Genocide Memorial.  It was important for me to come with a heart of love, respect and compassion to honor our brothers and sisters in Rwanda.  Daily for the past couple of years, I have prayed for spiritual healing of their deep inner and physical wounds.  However, all of this did not prepare me for the journey I embarked on as I walked into the Genocide Memorial in Kigali.  The first area is a water fountain which has a Flame of Remembrance, which burns each year during their 100 days of Remembrance.  As we walked down to the 3 levels of mass graves, my breath was taken away by a wave of unbelievable grief.  We walked quietly and prayerfully around each level praying for the victims, their families and those who committed these horrendous crimes.   Then we walked inside to learn the history of Rwanda leading up to the Genocide.  During this time as we listened to stories and saw pictures of the victims which families had donated of their loved ones, including the sweet little children, I was thinking these horrible killings have happened where we have been walking each day and to the people we are meeting each day.  Everyone we have met has been affected by the Genocide in some way.  It became difficult to breathe due to the huge knot in my throat.  My heart was overcome with deep sadness, grief, anger and love for my brothers and sisters in Rwanda, especially those of Gikomero and the Shyogwe Diocese, whom we have spent so much time with.  Even as I was overcome with these emotions, I was filled with a hope for reconciliation and unity. 

Rev. Prosper from Shyogwe Diocese was our guide for the day.  As we returned to Gitarama, Prosper shared personally in regard to the Genocide.  He said that he doesn’t like to talk about the Genocide, but would share a few things with us because of the close relationship we are building.  It was a privilege to listen as he shared his heart with us about his family. Prosper lost 7 members of his family.  He and four others were saved due to a Christian hiding them in his house. He said that more people would have been saved if the Church had lived out the Gospel during the Genocide.  There are too many stories where people were killed in churches by their Pastors which has caused a great deal of mistrust and has damaged the witness of the church.  Rev. Prosper shared that faith and trust in God and in the church is being restored.  He said the people no longer identify themselves as Hutus, Tutsi or Tway, but as Rwandans!  Their hope is in unifying the people of Rwanda through the Gospel.  As Christians help Christians through the ministry of reconciliation and bring others to Christ the Genocide will not happen ever again!  This is the hope that Pastor Prosper has in his heart.

As I bring this entry to a close, Hebrews 13:5-6 is on my heart. God has said:
“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid, what can man do to me?”

 These past couple of weeks as we have spent time in worship and fellowship with our new friends in Christ and today with Rev. Prosper, I have witnessed the Almighty power of God the Father, Jesus our Savior and the Holy Spirit’s victory over evil!  God is faithful to His promises! 

Please pray for the work of Shyogwe Diocese in their Ministry of Reconciliation.

Yesu ishimwe! (Jesus be praised)
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment